Community Based Programs
The Big Brothers Big Sisters "Community-Based Program" matches an adult volunteer to a child, between the ages of 6-14. Together they share in everyday activities and simple outings a few hours a month. The "Big" and "Little" may enjoy activities such as baking cookies, raking leaves, going for a bike ride, or shooting hoops. During these special outings, Bigs help cultivate relationships that provide their Little with skills to manage every day challenges. Through simple friendships, Bigs experience the joy of helping their Little discover a world of possibilities and opportunities. A friendship will be built that my change your life and a child's life forever.
Benefits for Bigs
- A new relationship with a young person who can benefit from your support and friendship.
- Add fun, challenge and excitement into your life.
- Belong to a nationally recognized premier mentoring organization.
- Learn new skills, leadership, commitment, and gain an appreciation for diversity.
- A chance to give back within your community.
- See the smile on your Littles face everytime you get together.
- Feel like a kid again!
Benefits for Littles
Big Brothers Big Sisters one-to-one mentoring makes a huge difference for the youth it serves. Research consistently demonstrates that Big Brothers Big Sisters mentoring helps youth overcome the many challenges they face. Statistics have proven that youth in the Big Brother Big Sisters programs showed improvement in the following areas.
- Ability to express feelings.
- Communication with peers and adults.
- Attitude towards school.
- Sense of the future.
- Academic performance.
- Decrease in truancy and alcohol useage.
Littles in the program look forward to spending time with their Big Brother or Sister, for many it is the highlight of their week. This is not surprising to us because we can all remember the person in our life that brought a little magic just by being there.
Find Out More
To find out more about being a Big Brother/Sister please submit the following information:
Our community based volunteer applications are available here